Strengthen Marketable Skills
Skills are the currency of the workplace. You are hired because the company believes you have skills that will increase its profits. Consequently,
- Keep an eye out for new job opportunities; be ready to get a new job before you are laid off. Talk with others in your field about jobs openings. Keep an updated resume and share it with others.
- Communicate your accomplishments clearly
(PAR: Problem, Action, Results):
- What was the problem you faced?
- What actions did you take?
- What observable results were there?
- Learn new skills and build on those you already have. How strong are your Foundation Skills? Take a careful look at them. Strengthen those that are weak.
- Know your "motivated skills," those that you enjoy using. Look for ways to strengthen them.
- Know what skills your industry needs.
- Learn skills that are transferable to jobs in other companies.