Solutions for Career Development Professionals in Agencies
I believe you will find Career Key an attractive option. Our respected career personality test, career information, and career and college major advice are based on the best practices and science of career development. Agencies find them effective and affordable. I recommend these options to you,
- The Career Key personality test to promote career exploration and good decision-making. Individuals taking the Career Key test assess their six Holland personality types, identify occupations that match, get full and accurate information about each one, and download a 4-page interpretive booklet – encouraging career exploration.
Research shows that a good personality-career match is a predictor of career satisfaction and success (assuming you use a valid career test). Cost? A dollar with our group discount plan.
There is also the paper-pencil version of the Career Key at the eBookStore. It has been particularly popular among agencies. There is also a Spanish version.
Transparency is important: the Career Key manual is online so you can review its construction, validity, reliability, and other features. There is also a comprehensive a e-book version of the manual. Counselors have used our website with confidence since 1997.
“As a counselling tool the CDP allows us to discuss very specifically where the student is in the process of career development and where they want to go next. Students appreciate the simplicity of the CDP and using it to formulate next steps…” Read more.
Assistant Director, Career Development
University of Toronto Mississauga
Simplicity, practicality, and validity are Career Key’s strengths. It takes about 15 minutes; results are immediate; and there are no complicated tables or abstract concepts to explain. It also provides a gateway to services unique to Career Key -- see the following;
- Choosing a College Major or Training Program that fits your client’s personality. In this online article your clients learn how to make this match using a 4-step decision-making process. A close personality-major match is vital. It is one of the predictors of academic success and satisfaction -- GPA and graduation. To learn more about this research and how to apply it in your setting, be sure to read our white paper Personality-College Major Match and Student Success A Guide for Professionals Helping Youth and Adults Who are in College or are College-Bound, and get your local college to sign up for our new "College Major Match" service.
For students (and college-bound adults and youth), we recommend:
Self-Employment helps the individuals who are considering this option.
- Identifying and strengthening clients’ job skills. As working adults know, job skills are what count in the workplace. Period. The Foundation Skills: Job Skills All Workers Need article describes those that experts consider essential.
The Free Agent Outlook on Work describes six basic principles that guide the “free agent” worker – an essential primer for today’s workplace, where marketable skills are the key to success. Identify Your Skills and Make Them Work for You follows up with sound advice and practical steps.
- Making good decisions. High Quality Decisions describes the essential steps in making a good decision. The ACIP method is practical and based on many research studies. The evidence clearly shows that the more you use these steps, the less likely you will regret your decision later.
Our popular e-book, The 2011 What Job is Best for Me?, walks the person through these steps. It embodies the essential concepts of our website.
Using our articles and e-books written for returning adults. Articles
include Career Change, Job Satisfaction, Military to a Civilian Career, and Self-
Employment. Popular e-books: Choosing Your College Major, The 2011
What Job is Best for You?, and What Color are Your Feathers? Holland’s
Theory and Your Career.
Learning about Holland’s Theory of Career Choice. This article is one of our most popular. Career development professionals and their clients praise its clarity and practical applications. And, literally hundreds of studies show that the theory has a solid scientific foundation. Our e-book, What Color are Your Feathers?, describes his theory and expands on how to apply it to career choice.
Visiting our eBookStore. We offer many high quality publications. All are offered in a “green”, sustainable PDF file that you download to your computer. Your purchase is an important way to support our efforts.
- Linking to our website. There is no site license or cost to visiting or linking to our home page or high quality career advice articles without framing. We show no advertising and do not accept reciprocal or paid text linking. Your voluntary links help us keep our website ad-free. Nearly 2,000 non-profits, libraries, and educational institutions link to us and we welcome yours.
Lawrence K. Jones, Ph.D., NCC President, Career Key.