Solutions for Adults Returning to School
Are you asking, “Which major, graduate or training program best fits me?” A close personality match is vital. Our valid, career personality test helps you do this.
Our respected career test, accurate career information, and sound career advice are based on the best practices and science of career development. They are effective, innovative, and affordable. I recommend,
- The Career Key personality test. When you take the Career Key career test you assess the strength of your six Holland personality types and identify matching occupations – this leads to matching your personality to majors and training programs, a vital step (more on this in #2 below).
You get full and accurate information about each occupation, and download a 4-page interpretive booklet. Research shows that a good personality-career match is a predictor of job satisfaction and success (assuming you use a valid career test).
Simplicity, practicality, and validity are Career Key’s strengths. It takes about 15 minutes; results are immediate; and there are no complicated tables or abstract concepts to understand. It also provides a gateway to services unique to Career Key, like the following:
- Choosing a College Major or Training Program that fits your personality. In this article you learn how to make this match following a 4-step process. A close personality-major match is vital. It is one of the predictors of academic success and satisfaction – grades earned and graduation. The companion e-book, Match Up! Your Personality to College Majors, links the Holland personality types to all 1300+ college majors and training programs. It is the first to do this (more on our ground breaking research).
“Match Up! encourages a learner-centered interaction between understanding one's key personality types and occupational and training information… [It] will be of great use to students and counselors who need to provide a list of options related to personality in a quick manner... It is a great resource that provides solid information necessary for making effective career decisions.” Read more.
Debra Osborn, Ph.D.
National Career Development Association
- Identifying and strengthening your job skills. As you know, job skills are what count in the workplace. Are you going back to school to strengthen them? The Foundation Skills: Job Skills All Workers Need article describes those that experts consider essential.
The Free Agent Outlook on Work describes six basic principles that guide the “free agent” worker – an essential primer for today’s workplace, where marketable skills are the key to success.Identify Your Skills and Make Them Work for You follows up with sound advice and practical steps.
- Making good decisions. High Quality Decisions describes the essential steps in making a good decision. The ACIP method is practical and based on many research studies. The evidence clearly shows that the more you use these steps, the less likely you will regret your decision later. Use it in making your decision about further schooling.
Our popular e-book, The 2010 What Job is Best for Me?, takes you through the ACIP steps. It embodies the essential concepts of our website.
- Learning about Holland’s Theory of Career Choice. This article is one of our most popular. Career development professionals and their clients praise its clarity and practical applications. And, literally hundreds of studies show that the theory has a solid scientific foundation. Our e-book, What Color are Your Feathers?, describes his theory and expands on how to apply it to career and educational choices.
- Reading our articles and e-books. Articles include Change, Job Satisfaction, Military to a Civilian Career, and Self-Employment. Popular e-books: Choosing Your College Major, The 2010 What Job is Best for You?
- Visiting our eBookStore. We offer many high quality publications. All are
offered in a “green”, sustainable PDF file that you download to your computer. Your purchase is an important way to support our efforts.
Lawrence K. Jones, Ph.D., NCC
President, Career Key.